Thursday, December 26, 2013

Remember those elegant lace doilies like your Grandmother made


In my opinion, there is nothing with more style or class than the doilies like my grandmother used to crochet. The thread textures were fine and exquisite. The patterns were elegant, intricate or even  dazzling. Ladies decorated their homes with these lovely hand made table covers to accent their finest furnishings or to make the simple handmade cabinet look luxurious. Vintage doilies are more than an accent piece for your home. They are collectible items. They are treasured keepsakes. That is why they can be found stored in the family cedar chest or in that trunk in the attic.

It is a common occurrence to find stacks of these underneath linens in old cedar chests. The smell of the cedar takes me back to my grandparent's days. I used to look at the old doilies that I found and daydream about those days as I fondled the thread and studied the patterns. I always wondered how different my life would have been if I had lived one hundred years earlier. Nostalgia pulls me into another place where I can travel for hours in my thoughts. It must have been quieter in those days without the distraction of television, radio, the internet and the bustle of automobiles outside the window. Crocheting in a rocking chair is a great form of meditation, at least in my experience.

Have any of you ever found a trunk full of old doilies or table scarves or baby layettes made from delicate thread? Would you care to share your stories here on Trunk and Attic Treasures?

The Midnight Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment